UPG began providing support for Urban Ag in Liberty City in March 2009, and has expanded our capacity gradually as resources became available and Volunteer Staff stepped up!
UPG Released "My Garden My World - How To Start Raised Bed Gardening in South Florida" on 1/12/2013.
It describes why gardening is so important to the people of South Florida, and how to start doing it!
UPG is creating 2 new Urban Paradise Centers on around 5.5 acres.
Each will have a well, irrigation, shade house, large Nursery for Natives and Edibles, and garden space for 150+ low-income families.
We have funding for some of these elements, but need support for others.
Gardening is GOOD for what ails us.
Are you skeptical? Does this seem to be too big a claim? Consider...
Gardening fights the causes of:
* Malnutrition (produce averages 2 Weeks from field to table, so it can't be fresh)
* Poverty (grow your own, and take care of yourself)
* Obesity (get off the couch, get off the junk-food)
* Famine (grow it, eat it)
* Diabetes (good food for good health)
* Apathy (gardens need caring people)
* Social Isolation (community gardens build communities)
* Sea-Level Rise and Global Climate Change (GCC) (Chemical Farming with petroleum-based fertilizers and pesticides produces most food, and is a cause of GCC; produce is trucked 1,500 polluting miles on the average)
How can I get started? We're glad you asked.
* Container gardening on balconies and terraces
* Raised beds on pavement and rocky ground
* Composting to create good dirt, the foundation of any garden.
How can Urban Paradise Guild help?
Stay tuned. We're gathering resources...