- about us
- contact us
Adoptions, Urban Paradise Centers & Chapters
UPG makes Volunteering convenient!
With 5 active UPG Locations (July 2012), there is probably one near you. Each UPG Location offers a different set of experiences and services, which depend upon the needs and resources.
There are 3 types of geographical organization within UPG:
* Urban Paradise Centers
* Location Adoptions
URBAN PARADISE CENTERS
This is the ultimate expression of what we do.
Nurseries grow plants (Native & Edible) for UPG projects, and gardens will (eventually) allow us to provide 200 low-income families with garden space.
These are also Location Adoptions (see below).
Each Urban Paradise Center will eventually include:
* Well and Irrigation
* Nurseries for Native Trees, Native Plants, Fruit Trees and Vegetables
* Family Gardens (200 raise bed organic gardens 4' x 13')
* Orchard of Fruit Trees
* Community Education Programs
* Team Leader Academy
* Urban Agriculture Programs
* Urban Forestry Programs
* Secure fencing and storage
* Administrative space
These features and programs, and the physical components needed, are being added as resources become available.
It involves the open-ended commitment to resolve the problems that the environment experiences through public engagement, knowledge, innovation, hard work, and steady pressure.
* Every Location which UPG Adopts has regular Work-Days.
* Many have both Monthly and Weekly Work-Days.
Oleta (Adoption + Nursery) - http://www.urban-paradise.org/oleta
Amelia (Urban Paradise Center & Adoption) - http://www.urban-paradise.org/Amelia
UPG Lemon City (Urban Paradise Center & Region) - http://www.urban-paradise.org/LemonCity (serving El Portal, Liberty City, Little Haiti)
Vizcaya (Adoption + Nursery) - http://www.urban-paradise.org/Vizcaya
Matheson Hammock (Adoption) - http://www.urban-paradise.org/matheson
Montgomery Botanical Center (Adoption + Nursery) - http://www.urban-paradise.org/Montgomery
FIU South (starting in January 2013, we hope)
A Chapter is formed when a group of individuals wants to get involved with UPG.
This can be a student organization at a College, University or School, a civic organization, or people from the community.
Chapters take on specialized projects and provide Staff to UPG Locations and Centers.
There are no Planting, Stewardship or Nursery activities at Chapters (see Adoptions and Centers above).
The following are candidates for Chapters:
Miami Dade College Hialeah
Miami Dade College North
Miami Dade College Wolfson
University of Miami
If YOU would like to form a Chapter, please contact email@example.com.
Urban Paradise Guild believes that in order to make an IMPACT we must:
* focus our work geographically, choosing our battles carefully
* get to know an area well to understand its challenges
* innovate to create new solutions for old problems
* work hard when solutions are known, and work smart
* take a holistic approach
* leverage Volunteers to create cost-effective solutions
* unlock Human potential in order to realize natural potential