The UPG Heirloom Tree Initiative
In a natural system, some trees stand the test of time.
Natural Selection culls the weak, while others survive everything that nature can throw at them:
* Boring Insects
* Parasitic Plants (like the Strangler Fig)
* Competition for Light from other trees
Unfortunately, humankind has altered the natural balance. We have derailed these processes through Development, Pollution, and Destructive/Invasive Exotic plants, Insects and Diseases.
UPG and our many Partners are engaged in Habitat Restoration and Re-Creation. We deal with several problems:
* Many Native Plants are not available at all
* Those that are available come from young, untested trees
The UPG Heirloom Tree Initiative actively fills these gaps.
* We identify Heirloom Trees that have survived Hurricanes and everything else.
* Many are World Record Florida Native Trees!
* UPG Volunteers gather Seedlings and Seeds from the areas around the Heirlooms.
* UPG Nurseries nurture them toward adulthood.
* UPG Volunteers plant them in suitable locations, spreading the genes.
* These new trees will create diverse new habitats in new areas, and preserve these PRICELESS genes through geographic distribution.
We are grateful for our Partner Vizcaya Museum and Gardens for providing access to so many of these Heirlooms.
UPG is proud to maintain the Vizcaya Nursery, and to share space in it for this important project!
For information on how YOU can help support this vital Initiative at Vizcaya, please send an inquiry to: email@example.com.